Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that affects more people than we think. It is an immune-mediated condition that quickens the life cycle of skin cells. With psoriasis, skin cells build up on the surface of the skin at a rapid speed hence forming scales. Red patches that are itchy and painful may also develop hence causing stress to the patient.
Since this is a chronic skin illness, management is key. Dermatologists aim at stopping the skin cells from growing too fast. Subsequently, this keeps the symptoms under control. Patients are also advised to change certain lifestyle habits in order to suppress the symptoms. These include; quitting smoking, moisturizing the skin, and managing stress.
Psoriasis Signs and Symptoms
The severity of psoriasis varies; from a few spots which resemble dandruff scales to major lesions which cover large surface areas. It is also important to note that psoriasis usually goes through cycles. It may flare for a few weeks/months then it subsides for a period of time or may even go into full remission.
- Dry and cracked skin that may at times bleed
- Red patches on the surface of the skin with whitish/silver scales over them
- Thick, ridged nails
- Small-sizes scaling spots
- Stiff and swollen joints
Also Read : Nursing Writing Help
Types of Psoriasis
- Plaque psoriasis- This is the most common form and is characterized by raised, dry, and red skin lesions which has silvery scales.
- Nail Psoriasis- This usually affects the toe and fingernails hence causing abnormal, pitting, as well as discoloration
- Guttate psoriasis- This type usually affects children and young adults and caused by a bacterial infection, for instance, strep throat
- Inverse Psoriasis- This type affects armpits, under the breasts, groin, and the skin around the genitals. It is characterized by smooth patches which become inflamed when you sweat or experience friction
- Pustular psoriasis- This is a rare form and features pus-filled blisters which may appear and disappear frequently.
- Erythroderma psoriasis- This is also an uncommon type which covers the entire body with a red peeling rash that burns and itches intensely.
- Psoriasis arthritis-